Thursday, May 27, 2010

oops. Hadn't counted on that....

I decided to start using up some of those parts and having gotten things pretty well cleaned up decided to put the crankcase together this morning.
I noticed when I disassembled things all the gears for the transmission stayed in the top half of the crankcase. I wasn't sure why because there didn't seem to be anything holding them there, they were just there. That's OK. I didn't want to deal with that anyway.
Through all the moving around and jostling and whatever those gears all stayed put, somehow mystically defying gravity...until this morning.
I had the lower half all prepped and was ready to set the top on. When I picked it up...you guessed it, gravity finally won, as it always does. The gears dropped out, and slid off the shaft.
No damage, the crankcase was in a plastic tote well padded with rags on the bottom but now I had to go to the drawing to decipher where they all came from.
I got the gears back on the shafts and the shafts back in the housing, and everything fit and everything turns smoothly so I guess I got it together properly...
So, I bolt the crankcase together and as I'm straightening up and putting the tools away, there, between my feet is something that almost certainly is part of a motorcycle. So I take a deep breath, and decide to look at the drawings before taking the crankcase apart. There isn't anything in the transmission drawings that look exactly like this part so maybe...
It seems to fit on the crankshaft, outside the crankcase. I'll have to look at the drawings again before I get too much farther but I think maybe I dodged a bullet.
By the way, I went to see Jerry again (remember him?) He wasn't there again, but the woman I talked to last time was still there, as was the big guy with the long beard (and again me in my shorts and flip-flops.) I was looking for someone to check the pistons and cylinders (and maybe do some machine work if needed.)
They don't work on Hondas at Jerry's so I guess I don't need to go back there again. She did, however tell me of a place nearby where there is a guy who does work on Hondas.
More later....

1 comment:

  1. What about taking a picture of the "mystery part"?
    Maybe we can give you a hand with that.
    Anyway, keep up the good job. It's quite brave for a "non-biker" to take on a challenge like this.
    I think you're a few weeks work ahead of me, because I started with the engine and you with the frame. Anyway, feels great to know that someone in the other side of the world is having the same problems as me. Lack of parts...

    ReplyDelete