Friday, May 14, 2010

Odds and Ends

Didn't really do a lot today but I did fool around a little. Cleaning up some parts (trying to) repainting and painting some miscellaneous parts I missed the other day, like the foot pegs and the top of the triple tree.  What, you don't know what a triple tree is?  Hmmm....

I put a few parts back on, but only tentatively. Didn't tighten anything down really because a lot of what I was putting back on may have to come back off at some point for one reason or another. I was mainly going through parts and trying to get more organized, and putting a few parts back on the bike got them out of the way and pretty well organized.

Took a couple of random---really random photos just for grins to give some kind of indication of what goes on behind the scenes so to speak...a glipse at the not so pretty...or the nitty-gritty.

Did I mention that my new most favorite tool is a rubber mallet?  I really don't know how I've managed for all these years without one

Did I mention that I screwed up a perfectly good set of handlebars?  They had to be drilled for the wires, so I measuered the bars that were on it when I got it and started drilling at the same distance from the end of the bar.  Problem was there was a solid piece of steel welded in the bars at that point.  So I moved farther up the bar and drilled my holes.
Everything's looking good, got the wires threaded thru, but now the holes are too far from the ends of the bars.  Simple; get the pipe cutter and shorten the bars so the holes are the desired distance from the end.  Everything installed on the left (clutch) side...on to the right...but wait...the hand grip and the switch go on just right but...there's not enough room left on the straight part of the bar to install the front brake lever.   Again the front brake.

I don't know why those pieces of steel were welded inside my handlebars but now my handlebars are scrap metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment