Sunday, May 9, 2010

How far will I go with this?

Yesterday I was fooling around and decided to see if that tarnished aluminium (?) on the front fork would clean up any and started trying to do that, and decided that it would be easier to do it if the wheel wern't in the way so the wheel had to come off and it actually looks as if there is a little gleam left under that patina.




The thing is that now there really is very llittle left in it's original position and maybe I should go ahead and take those last two or three things off and clean the rust off the frame and repaint it while I've got things torn down.  I doubt I'll go back here if it ever gets running so i may as well, right?








It also looks like the wheels will clean up pretty well also.  There is a little rust on the rims, but the spokes a just kind of tarnished and  with a little work will look pretty good.  You can see the ones I've worked on some in the picture.






I have also dicided that I need to find a shop to take the pistons, cylinders, and heads into for measurements and possible machining if need be.  No obvious problems like that hole in the top of the cylinder I found in that old VW engine but since it's torn apart already it would be a shame to put everything back only to find out there was a problem and have to redo everything.  I know the engine ran last year at about this time but only briefly so I'm going looking for a shop.


1 comment:

  1. The valves, pistons, and heads, etc. could all stand a good cleaning at the least. I'd agree that this is the time for any/all astetic cleanup you'd like to see done. Speaking
    of that, aluminum can be polished, but it can't really rust, so if you see some shine, it should be relatively easy to bring it back. So yeah, nows the time to do any work you can think of. Unless you'd like to pull the engine on a more frequent basis.

    ReplyDelete