Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Baby steps, but in the right direction at least.

I just spent about an hour and a half buffing the rear wheel hub, getting the rust off the rim, and cleaning the corrosion and rust off the spokes.  It's a big improvement but not perfect.  I think its looking pretty respectable though considering it's 34 years old.

Yesterday I spent most of the morning sanding and priming the frame.  The frame appears to be in very good condition, the only damage being a small dent on the bottom left side tube and a slightly cracked weld on the bracket to which the kick-stand bolts. 

 
I painted the frame today and had hoped to start reassembling things but I got a late start due to my good nature and willingness to help a fellow human being in need, so that's going to happen.  Hopefully I get an earlier start tomorrow and don't find too many spots that I missed while painting. (I already saw a spot on the swing arm that needs some touch up.)
It is going to be kind of slow going for a while as I'm intending to clean and degrease parts as I go...plus, although the parts are identified, they aren't exactly cataloged and organized, so there will be a fair amount of wasted time looking for the next part/assembly and the respective fasteners.

No comments:

Post a Comment