Monday, September 13, 2010

Feeling much better thank you!

Well after some frustrations, some progress.
The spark plug caps came and got installed and didn't resolve the problem.  Well they resolved the problem of the resistance being 19 ohms on one plug and infinity on the other but the bike still wouldn't start.
We've only been working on her sporadically, some days not at all, but until today we weren't able to get the infernal machine to crank. A cough here, a sputter there but mostly a lot of nothing.
There is nothing exciting about tracing out the wires and hoping to find a loose one somewhere, so it was tinker some, walk away a to brood, tinker, brood... A couple semi-eureka moments (was that wire loose or did I just tug it a little too hard?) but nothing much encouraging. 
Finally decided to go back to the beginning and check timing and points. Some how ignition timing plate had slipped. Set that back and viola...she fired up.
She's still missing a little on the left cylinder (I don't think that set of points is properly set-up yet) but she was definitely firing some on both cylinders, and it ran long enough that I was able to get some readings on the charging system.  These numbers may be low but I guess they are better than nothing.  At idle speed (@ 1300 rpm) the voltage reading across the battery was 12.2 Vac.  At  @ 2000 rpm reading was 12.7 and at @ 4000 rpm it was reading 13.7.  I'm thinking this may be a little lower than desirable but it is positive so that's sorta OK right?
I didn't think about running the check on the alternator while I was working on her but tomorrow, after I go back through the points and timing I will check that as well.
I was encouraged enough today to forestall the the idea of parting her out on e-bay for another couple of weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lou!
    The voltage readings are ok to charge the battery. Usually you get higher numbers with the lights off, but since you cant to that, those will do.
    About the ebay joke...and yes, I know it was a joke because I've been thinking the same latelly. All it takes is one step in the right direction for the "I'm sick of this" feeling to go away.
    I managed to do 180miles on mine this saturday but not without fouling a spark plug in the exact spot where the U turn occured

    ReplyDelete