Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A one putt day

I was kind of thinking today might be the day... and in a way it was.
Went to work on the Honda (I really have to come up with a name) this morning.  Put the oil in first.
Put in the battery (which had been sitting since last year, but I hooked it up to the charger a couple of days ago and thought it was charged), turned the key, and nothing happened.  I hadn't even wired the starter yet so I wasn't expecting anything huge to happen, all I was intending to do was make a preliminary check of the wiring to be sure I hadn't missed anything and that everything worked...well nothing worked.
So I'm pulling apart connectors, stabbing around with a meter, "checking continuity" like I know what I'm doing, and  not having much luck.
Get out the schematics and start probing around again with the meter, trying to make sense out of what I'm doing and what I'm reading.  Finally I find a blown fuse, that helps.  Then I realize that the solenoid is not exactly wired correctly.  That helps too.
So I reconnect the connectors and put things back together, and hook up the battery and turn the key and all the lights are working, brake switches are working, horn is working, so that's all good.  Check for spark at the plugs, right plug...good spark, left plug...no spark.  The wire had separated from the connector.  Fix that...spark on the left.  Everything is looking good!
I decide the time is right for the big test.
I wire the starter, get the camera, set it to take a video, find the tripod, set it up to record the historic moment, start the camera, mount the bike, turn it on, touch the wires together (I still don't have a starter button, and don't like the make-shift button that I got with the bike, so I'm hot wiring it for now) and the engine turns over...slowly at first, then maybe a little faster, then slower.  It coughs, sputters for a second and sounds like it may catch...and that's pretty much it.  Not enough juice.  And just as well I guess because the camera for some reason (like maybe I just bought it haven't read the manual and my not know how it works exactly) stopped recording after 10 seconds.  It got me walking over, getting on the bike and digging in my pocket for the keys.
Battery is charging.  I also rewired the starter.  The starting system on this bike was pretty sketchy when I got it and the wire to the starter seemed like maybe it didn't need to be that huge cable and maybe a lighter gauge wire would not be such a drain on the system...I could be wrong about that, we'll see.  I can always change it back. 
So maybe I'll try it later tonight if the battery gets charged if not it'll probably be Thursday because "you can't roller-skate in a buffalo herd" and I'm baby sitting grandkids tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment