Tuesday, July 7, 2009

KICK START

Sunday I was ready to order some parts.  Well actually I had ordered parts when I remembered the broken kick-starter  shaft.  I canceled the order and decided I'd better look into that kick start thing to see if I was going to need any parts for that beyond the shaft.

I knew the right crankcase cover needed to come off and I could see that the right exhaust pipe was going to have to come off in order to get the cover off...

The studs where the exhaust bolt to the engine were bent, and after about two hours of careful prying and shimmying (which resulted in me getting my head skint (#@@&??!!!) on the turn signal. I was able to get the collars holding the exhaust pipe off. 

Now the bad news:  I've gotten both crankcase covers off, and still can only see one end of that danged kick starter shaft.  Hmmmm.  Maybe I need to look at the book.

P7070065 Hmmmm, step one; drain the crankcase oil,  Hmmmm,  guess that explains all that slippery liquid that came out unexpectedly.  Step something- or- other:  separate crankcase halves as in chapter 4.  Oh-Oh!  Chapter 4 is about the engine and it's... Whoa, you have to pull the engine to do that, and I can do that, I mean I did it to the old VW,right, but I'm not really ready for that just now, I just want to get the dog-boned thing running.  I've considered the fact that I may, at some point want to, or need to rebuild the engine, but I really wanted to ride it once or twice and maybe get attached to it, and you know, give her a nick-name so I could whisper sweet nothings to her while I was caressing and removing her cylinders heads.  You know what I mean, right?   But all that for a kick starter?

I don't know somehow it all seems a little too forward.

I ordered the parts I've decided I need to get the electric starter working.  If it starts and runs, all's well.  If not...Chapter 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment